Wednesday, March 10, 2010

I Don't Think I'm Ready for THAT

Yesterday was beautiful.  I mean a thankgodwinterisgoingawayandspringiscoming type of beautiful.

As tired as I was from getting close to NO sleep the night before, I could resist taking Lael to the park to enjoy the warmth.

A bit after we got there the little girl that lives across the street fom us came to the park as well.

Originally the girl ran over to a group of boys and didn't see Lael. I nudged Lael to go over and say hello. (I try to get her out of the shyness)

Lael went to say hi and then the girl followed her back where they began to play together.

A few minutes later one of the little boys came up the the girl and said "So-and-so likes you."

I.Just.About.Died.

I mean this girl JUST turned 8 and is in the 2nd grade.  Lael wasn't in earshot so didn't hear what was going on but WTF!

Then the other boys ran over and they began giggling and whispering "You tell her" "No! You tell her" "You like her not me."

Again. Died.

The girl ran over to her mother (who was on their back patio and couldn't hear it) and told her.  I'm not sure what she said to her but the girl ignored the boys and continued to play with Lael.

After a few minutes her mom called her in.  I'm not sure if it was because the boys were lingering around or because the sun was going down. 

Either way, I am mortified FOR her.

Seriously.  Does this shit start in the 2nd grade?

I'm not prepared for this.  Am I going to have to talk to my 1st grader about what these boys mean.

When will she come home talking about a boy liking her?  And who will dig my grave because once again DIE is what I will do?

I don't remember having to deal with boys at least until the 4th or 5th grade. 

What have yall experienced?  Any advice?  Seriously. I'm too young to die.

When I take my girl to the park I only expect to deal with this:



Nothing else.

15 comments:

  1. This is where I put me hands over my ears and sing La La La La La. Okay, that wasn't helpful, but really that seems way too young to be playing those games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We started early where I grew up...I remember having "boyfriends" starting in Kindergarten...and I looked like a boy until I was 13! :) I haven't heard a lot of it with my kids except my son does have a crush on a girl...but he would never ever tell her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for stopping by! I have only boys so I am the "emeny's" mom. I can tell you that I am discouraging my son from any such behavior until he is much older. I will be praying for you as you serve our country. I can't imagine going to work every day knowing your place of employment is world target #1. Praying God's protection over you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate to tell you this, but I distinctly remember this from 1st grade. There was drama about 2 girls liking the same boy... I won't go into to details, though. You don't wanna know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prepare yourself.
    I hate to say that it starts early. Just a couple of years ago, when my son was in Kindergarten, the girls were doing this stuff. I tried not to make a federal case about it and just told him that he should be friends with everyone because he was too young for boyfriend/girlfriend things. I keep saying that to him in second grade and plan to keep saying it as long as I can LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ear muffs!!! Remember that movie, I think with Vince Vaughn, where they put ear muffs on the kid when they were talking adult talk? Well, I want ear muffs for me, because I don't want to know about this stuff, either. LOL!

    Once it starts...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhhh, one of the benefits or raising a quirky kid. I don't have to deal with this stuff like other parents, yippee! However, I did hear from my son's one friend that in third grade (THIRD GRADE) some other girl was talking to other girls about bl*w j*bs. OMG.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like how Rhonda put it... "the enemy's mom" since she has boys. My elementary school-age kids are three boys -- two 4th graders and a 2nd grader. And, yes... this shit starts early. Too early for me as well. When I've caught my boys talking about the girls their friends like (because they'll never admit to liking a particular g-i-r-l) I always dust off my chat about "respect." It's the speech that spells out how I will kick their heineys if they show ANY girl disrespect. Period. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess I'm pretty lucky. The group of neighborhood kids that my 7 YO hangs out with includes 3 boys - but they have always maintained a friendship - nothing more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! I was already pretty nervous about my son starting kindergarten this year but now I have all new worries.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's terrifying! 2nd grade! I don't remember that occurring in a "real" way until 4th grade.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh God. I'm just going to pretend I didn't read this. Phoebe is six and so far hasn't had to "deal' with that, at least that I know about

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm going to pretend I did n't read this. Phoebe is six. I'm not ready for this and frankly denial has always been a good friend of mine

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is crazy, isn't it, how early the 'who likes who' stuff begins?!?

    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh...reading this made my stomach drop. TOO YOUNG!

    ReplyDelete

Those laughing with me...or at me.