Friday, March 5, 2010

Reality

So many of you know that I work in the Pentagon.

I have been working in the building for 3 years but in and out of the building for 5 years.

If you didn't hear last night around 6:30 there was a shooting.

2 of our Pentagon Police was shot and in turn they shot the suspect.

This scares the living hell out of me.

It was right outside of the Metro entrance.  The entrance I take every.single.day.

It could've been anyone.  Me, my coworkers, anybody. 

Thank god the 2 officers were only grazed and they have been released from the hospital.

The suspect was not so lucky.  He was pronounced dead this morning.

This morning I was watching the news and Lael walks in.

"What, there was shooting at the Pentagon.  You can't go to work mom!"

I had to explain to her that everything was ok.  That nothing was going to happen to me.

But it's not really the truth.  Because we don't really know.  Anything could happen to any of us at any time.

Then she proceeds to ask me what if people shoot at our house.

I told her that I would protect her.

She says who will protect me.

I told her daddy would.

She says who will protect him.

I told her the dogs would and then I tickled her and tried to change the subject.

I worry but I don't want her little head to be worried too.

But it's reality.

11 comments:

  1. I thought of you when this happened yesterday. It's so scary when this stuff happens so close to home...and life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is scary. I think you handled it well with your daughter. She really doesn't need to dwell on such thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still can't get over that my daughter practices lockdown drills at school more than fire and tornado drills. It's a scary world out there. I'm glad you are ok!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those headline makers are so terrifying when they hit close to home. Very scary. And it's heartbreaking when we see it reflected in our children.

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg. Our world is SO SCARY!!!!!!

    but sometimes these lessons we learn WITH our children are very powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, Jesus. I'm so sorry Keyona. Give Lael an extra hug for me today. I'm so glad you are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very scary. I'm glad you are ok and the officers are fine as well. We have no guarantees in life, true but I think you told her the right thing for her age. I think that is what our kids need to hear at this juncture in their lives. May it always be true. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is very, very scary and so hard to explain to kids, you did handle it well

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reality is so scary, and it's scary when we have to explain it to our little ones. I'm so glad you're safe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That it is really scary. I didn't realize you worked so close to there!!!

    ReplyDelete

Those laughing with me...or at me.