Tuesday, August 17, 2010

In Which I Talk About My Boobs

I know I said I would be back the last 2 posts. And I'm trying. I really am.

I compose posts in my head everyday but it's the sitting down and typing them out part that's hard.

So, I've been back to work for 2 weeks now. I like it. I mean seriously. I leave my house at 7:20 and I'm at my desk by 7:25. How awesome is that.

I get to go home for lunch everyday and cuddle with the baby and that is awesome too.

But let me tell you what isn't awesome.

Having to leave my baby.

It was horrible.

The fact that I was nursing and would now have to pump more often than not was really getting to me.

I have to admit though, my new office knew I was just getting off of maternity leave and had an empty office set up for me to pump in.

They even made me a "Do Not Disturb" sign and had a door jammer so that I wouldn't be walked in on by mistake.

They rock big time.

Even with all that said, I will never forget my first day pumping at work.

I took my insulated bag including the pump and empty milk storage bags and walked down the hallway.

I opened the door and looked around. There sat an unoccupied desk, an unused filing cabinet, and a table with two empty chairs surrounding it.

Behind the desk there are windows but you can't see outside because the curtains are pinned closed for security reasons.

I sat my bag down and just stood in the middle of the room for a second.

Finally, I sat down at the table and took off my top.

I hooked myself up to the pump and waited.

I don't know how long I sat there before I realized my pants were getting wet.

I thought maybe I was leaking. I took a look and sure enough I was.

Only I wasn't leaking milk. I was crying.

I didn't even realize I was crying.

Here I was sitting in and empty office pumping milk instead of being home nursing my baby.

I didn't think I could do it but I did. I pumped like the best of them and when 11:30 came around I almost ran people off the road driving home to nurse him during my lunch hour.

I cried then too. This time knowingly. I knew it would be hard but I had no idea it would have been THAT hard.

Since then I've been pumping at work twice a day. Nursing him everyday during lunch and in the evenings.

Things were going well until last Thursday.

My hubby informed me that Kobi was now drinking two bags in one feeding. I thought I would just pump more but my body didn't get that memo.

Slowly I've been watching the freezer supply diminish while I've been walking around with raw nipples trying to get every last drop of liquid gold out that I could.

Then yesterday it happened.

I ran out of milk. Both in the freezer and in my breasts.

He emptied them. But yet he continued to scream.

So I did what any other mother would have done.

I gave him formula.


To pieces.

I don't know why I took it so hard. I felt as if I had already left him to go back to work but now I wasn't even able to feed him properly.

Don't give me a pep talk because I already know I'm being crazy but it's how I felt.

He finished that formula and then looked up at me and smiled. A smile so big that milk ran out of the side of his mouth.

How could I not be happy with my decision.

I've still not given up. I nursed him in the middle of the night, this morning and again at lunch. I just might need a little extra help from the formula until my milk catches up.

I am not fully OK with this but I'm pressing forward just the same.

Thank you for all those on Twitter who gave me words of encouragement and all kinds of tricks to try. I have drank beer, power-pumped, pumped in the shower, eaten oatmeal, and had expressed.

I will continue to fight the good fight until my boobs scream uncle.

Because seriously. He's totally worth it.


  1. Aaaaah! That picture is simply adorable!!

    I have missed you! Don't stress it the milk will come, in the meanwhile take care of yourself and be healthy that ought to make it come back asap.

  2. How heartbreaking for you, hearing your story and others from other US Moms makes me appreciate the 12 month mat leave we get here in Canada. That you are loving your job is so wonderful for you, even if it means you can't spend all day with that adorable little guy, that he is in the care of your husband is so wonderful too

  3. Ah you aren't crazy! You go girl for putting up such a fight!

    And look at that picture - what an adorable little guy!!!!

  4. Hang in there...you are doing an amazing job!

  5. Don't get discouraged! I went through something similar, and I just needed to drink more water. A LOT more water... They also have some natural Mother's Milk tea that is supposed to be very good. You can find it in a health food store, or the natural section usually of any major supermarket. Good luck :)

  6. You're amazing, Keyona. I loved this post! It was so raw and real. I love that you are able to go home for lunch to nurse him! That rocks! And so what about the formula. It's not like you gave up on nursing entirely. XOXOXO

  7. I had a hard time pumping, too. When I nursed, I had plenty of milk, but pumping just couldn't get as much. It's hard but you do what you can and relax knowing that you do the best for your baby and he loves you.


Those laughing with me...or at me.