Friday, February 13, 2009

Nobody Will Buy What I Have Anyway


We all know that for some the current economy has been tough. It has surely affected some more than others. While I'm not quite desperate enough to start selling all of my household items on Ebay, things are definitely tough.


Chris from Notes from the Trenches talks about how BlogHer debuted a new web cast called Backtalk. They spoke about Facebook and how it relates to our children.


There a a few future issues coming up on Backtalk and one of them is in reference to our current economy.


The questions she asked are:

How is the economy affecting your family? Are you or your spouse out of a job? Are you saving in the event that one of you gets laid off down the road? Are you feeling anxiety or powerlessness over what’s happening?

Oh were do I begin! Hell yeah the economy has put a dent in the way me and my family live. My husband lost his contract in October 2007. Yes, he has been out of work for 16, hair-pulling, fight-starting, penny-pinching, months. It has been the biggest adjustment we've ever had t make as a couple. We have been together for 9 years and this has tested us down to the very core.


I am lucky that I am secure in the Air Force and though I had thought about separating before, the thought of it now scares the living hell out of me. This summer will be 10 years active for me and in 10 more I can retire and the wonderful age of 37. While the AF did have a few cutbacks recently, I once again, managed to dodge that bullet. In case I wasn't sure before, I now know that I will be retiring from the military.


We are living a new normal type of life. We had to cut back on excessive (my relationship with Target) spending. We sold our truck (2000 Ford Expedition)because when gas prices were at it's highest it cost $120 to fill it up. We now have a nice older (1994 BMW) car (courtesy of Ebay) that only takes about $40 to fill up. We don't eat out as much as we used to. We downgraded our cable and opted to join Netflix. I had to take more interest in the Thrift Shop and figured out how to use coupons. But more than anything our family has really helped us out.


We are surviving. We are making due with what we have. Lael is happy. Me and hubby are happy (when we aren't fighting) and we have adjusted to our new life. Do I miss unplanned Target runs? Of course! But I have come to realize that staying at home has given us more family time. My husband will eventually work again, and when he does we won't know what to do with the extra money. I'm sure our saving account would like some company. She's been lonely.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're pulling through. I think we are all learning great lessons about how to be more frugal in this economy. I know that I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had forgotten how much I enjoy reading your blog, Keyona. Thanks for stopping by and reminding me of what I am missing. I just spend about a half hour reading all of your old posts.

    Now that I am back on track, let's talk. Wow! Nothing takes it out of a couple more than money issues. I have longed believed this to be true. My family is in a similar situation to what you are describing. Having to really cut back on spending, all in the hopes of weathering out the storm.

    I just keep waiting for blue skies to appear, but somehow our weather just sucks. Glad to know that we are not alone.

    Thank you!

    -Francesca

    ReplyDelete

Those laughing with me...or at me.