Thursday, September 23, 2010

Who Needs Tonsils and Stuff

Yesterday I made a decision.

Lael will have her tonsils and adenoids removed.

Since she was a baby she has snored like a grown man.

She’d been diagnosed with sleep apnea but me being the overprotective parent I am, decided to ignore it.

I figured she’d grow out of it.

But she hasn’t.

At her last physical, I spoke to her pediatrician about her attention span and her sleep habits.

I explained the Lael has always been a “good” sleeper. Meaning she will sleep to noon everyday if I let her.

Turns out that because she is constantly waking up, she isn’t getting REM sleep. Who knew.

When Lael was younger, she used to wake up EVERY night. I thought it was because she wanted to crawl back into bed with me instead of staying in her own.

A few weeks ago my husband decided to start sleeping in the room with her so we could get a better idea of what was going on.

According to him, she still wakes up EVERY night with her noisy snores and having to sometimes catch her breath.

He says it’s around 1 or 2 in the morning. Every night. No wonder she has a hard time focusing in school or at home for that matter.

Thankfully I had already had an appointment schedules at the ENT clinic.

After looking over her records and giving her an exam, they determined that she had VERY large tonsils and adenoid and they were going to remove them.

This is what I had been afraid of.

They mentioned doing this a few years ago but I thought at 4 was just too young.

Now that she is almost 7 I think I am ready. Well as ready as I can be.

I also wanted her to be old enough to understand what was going to happen.

I only wish my child sleep. Restful sleep.

I’m not sure when the procedure will take place. I have to wait for them to call me to schedule it.

I am looking at the week before Thanksgiving. She’ll have to miss a week of school (which sucks) but she will get to eat ice cream and Jello all day (which rocks).

Have any of your kids had this procedure done? Any advice?

I’m a wimp when it comes to my kids.

Also, hold me.


5 comments:

  1. Miss D. had hers out when she was 6. She had some complications, but she did survive. What she remembers most is being able to sleep on the pull-out couch in front of the tv for a whole week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so hard! I cry when I take my kid to the dentist. Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. E has not had hers out. They did have to put her under when she was attacked by a dog...the hardest thing I have ever done in my life, was witness that.

    Good luck to Lael, but mostly good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, that's a hard one. My son (5) used to snore so loudly, wet the bed, sleep till noon, and was hyper! All signs of needing adenoids/tonsils removed. ENT said he wanted to wait and see if he grew out of it since the procedure was really painful. It has been a year and seems to gradually be getting better, but now dealing with other breathing concerns (asthma/allergies). @ friends recently had this done with their kids. 1 went great w/hardly any pain and the other was complete opposite. Good luck - whatever decision you make will be the right one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi. I have never commented on a blog before and this is the first time reading your blog. I was researching adenoid and tonsil removal and came across your site. I have decided to try removing milk from my daughter's diet before opting for surgery. I'm still leaning to surgery, though. I will let you know how it works out, but from one mom to another I feel your anxiety.

    ReplyDelete

Those laughing with me...or at me.