Friday, June 26, 2009

And Then A Child Was Lost

I find it amazing that I just posted about losing a child in a store or otherwise. Amazing. Yesterday me and a friend went to Target to pick up a few things for out kids Baseball End Of Season Party. We picked up what we needed and decided to browse the Women’s Department before checking out. My friends youngest son was with us in a shopping cart and while we were talking and looking at clothes we hear a faint “Hello”. We turn to see a pretty little 2 or 3 year old girl wearing a cute dress and barefoot. We smiled and greeted her and went back to what we were doing.

A few seconds later she was still there playing hide and seek between the clothes I was standing next to. I joked with her and smiled and looked around to see who she was with. There were 2 ladies close by (but too far in my opinion) in the Women’s area and I figured she was with them. We asked if they had a little girl with them and they both shook their heads no.

Shit.

My friend tried to talk to the girl to see if she knew her name or her moms. I don’t think she spoke English. I got worried and asked a few people walking by if the girl was with them. Nothing.

So I decided to try to have her walk with me to the front of the store. I grabbed her hand and she pulled back and got on the ground. I then tried to pick her up but she began to shriek.

Shit.

My friend decided to stay with her while I went to have them make an announcement. I found a Target employee and explained the situation and that the girl didn’t want to come with me. Instead of making an announcement the girls said she would go find some candy. What the fuck was that going to do? I walked away in frustration. I went back and my friend said the girl wasn’t responding to any of her questions. We asked a few more people if she belonged to them and she did not.

After another minute or so another Target employee and a foreign lady holding a younger baby walked up and we asked if she was her. She did. She thanked us and carried on. Not one of those “OHMYGODITHOUGHTILOSTYOUDON’TEVERUNAWAYAGAIN” thank you but a “thanks” kind of thank you.

The little girl wanted to be carried but her mother told me she couldn’t carry her and the baby and she grabbed her hand and the barefoot child walked away with her mom.

I was so furious. I don’t get it. I just don’t get it. Me and my friend both felt sick. How long did it take her to realize that her daughter was missing. I would have been running around yelling my child’s name. It pisses me off to no end. Keep your children safe. In the time the whole situation took place that girl could have walked right out of the front door. She could have been taken off by God knows who. Too many possibilities and none make me feel good.



7 comments:

  1. I guess at least she wouldn't have gone quietly if someone tried to take her, since she screamed when you tried to help. Scary stuff, though.

    When I worked at a dept. store and we had lost children occasionally, the thing that made me livid was when the child got spanked and yelled at after they were found. Talk about traumatic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have been upset too. I would have grabbed her and hugged her tight and cried and told her that I loved her and cried some more. I just don't get some people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my God how can parents be so careless about their kids... i really feel bad and sorry for the kid. Though thinking back that the target employee was aware who the child was i guess it was a regular detour of the family to the shop and all the employees knew the kid and her mom... but still how could she have left the kid alone and not be bothered about were she was.

    Freedom Debt Relief

    ReplyDelete
  4. I once couldn't find my kid for oh, I don't know, 3 SECONDS and I was flipped out.

    T

    ReplyDelete
  5. As the "friend" :), I can say that lady looked so unconcerned!!! Thinking back, the little girl wasn't terrified, if I had to take a wild guess, I would say that it has happened more than once.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What the hell is wrong with people? i see folks do that all the time - just going about their business shopping, not paying any attention to their kids. My neice, who is now 14, disappeared in a small clothing store one day when she was about 3 or 4. We went berserk, her mother and I, looking for her. It turns out that she was playing hide and seek with the other kids and was hiding in between the clothing rounders. I guess she was afraid to come out. When we finally found her, my sister just grabbed her and held her, but I wanted to beat the stuffing out of her for scaring us like that. As you said, PEOPLE, WATCH YOUR KIDS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow.... I can't believe the ignorance of some people... was she a "young" mom??

    One time I thought I lost my two older boys (12 & 10 at the time) in the mall... they were supposed to meet me at the music store after I went to the bathroom, a few doors down from that store. Well, they made another stop on their way and were not there when I got there... I.was.hysterical!!! I had the mall security and an off-duty cop, along with my "i.d-a-kid" cards...and when I found them, after I hugged them, I about tore their heads off!!

    ReplyDelete

Those laughing with me...or at me.