Thursday, June 18, 2009

To Feed Or Not To Feed...That Is The Question

Last night was a rough night for me. I got not so good news not once but twice.

Hubby decided after Lael's (indoor) T-ball game, to take me and the girls out to eat to cheer me up.

Before we went to eat we stopped at Wal-Mart.

We entered the store and turned the corner. As we walked past the checkout aisle I completely stopped walking as did Lael.

I saw something. Something that I've seen many many times but never in this place.

Something I think is completely fine but not in the way I saw it.

I saw a boob. I fully uncovered, nipple and all boob. There was a lady breastfeeding her baby in the checkout line and she completely pulled down her tank top and whipped out her boob.

Ok, before I go any further I just want to say I have NO OBJECTIONS with breastfeeding in public. What I do have a problem with is having no discretion. I've had to feed Lael a few times and simply covered her with some type of blanket.

However, this woman did not. Lael stared in shock and I pushed her forward. After gathering myself we continued through the store and we made our way back to the checkout. Surprisingly, she was still there! And this time I had the pleasure of seeding her pull the baby off her left boob. Whip out her right boob. Chit chat for a few seconds while it just completely hung out. Latching the baby on the right boob and and then after a minute or so decided she should but the left one away.

I didn't know what to think. I had never seen this done before.

All I can say is it sure "perked" up my spirits!

What are your views on it?

13 comments:

  1. It used to make me really uncomfortable when I waited tables and women would whip out the boob right as I was about to take their order. I never knew where to look. I STILL don't know where to look. I'm glad they're comfortable sharing themselves with the world (and their children, of course) but seeing a stranger in the semi-buff still makes me a little uncomfortable. Especially since I now have a 4 year-old who likes to narrate everything she sees. Loudly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. my. goodness...

    I'm with you - in public is fine, but just letting everything hang out there is more than any of us want to see. How hard would it be to throw a receiving blanket over yourself and go about your business? This was one of the primary reasons that I chose not to breastfeed - I was terrified of having to do it in public.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with ck on this one. You know you have to look away - but in a way that says "I'm not looking away because your boob is hanging out."

    At Wal-Mart though? I like to think the line gets drawn at Target.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with you 100%!! I am all for nursing but WITH DISCRESSION!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe she didn't want to lose her place on the check-out line...? But yes, I agree --a little discretion would've been nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a discussion about this very thing among a group of mothers that were all for not covering it up. I'm for breastfeeding but with discretion. There are boys that are 10 - 12 who don't need an excuse to be looking at nudity in any form. I tend to look away when I see that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a now, almost two-year-old, that I still nurse ... but I really try to be as discreet as possible. I wear a shirt OVER my nursing top, so I only expose the TINIEST amount of skin that is typically latched upon.

    I think nursing is a totally natural thing and should be encouraged here, there and everywhere, but I think that women need to exercise modesty and there are ways to do this. Although I'm opposed to putting things over a baby's head (it gets hot!!) you can wear your baby in a carrier - or wear clothing that helps cover you up, appropriately.

    Having said that, I also nursed our triplets and I'll never forget being on an airplane - wedged next to a business man in a suit - and while holding two WAILING babies - I put two of three babies to breast (at the same time) because WHAT WAS I GOING TO DO??

    In that very moment, nursing in such an awkward place was a lot less painful for me - and everyone around me - than hearing babies scream.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, obviously I have missed out on all the fun by shopping at Target! LOL!

    I am all for breastfeeding in public. But hello, a blanket would be nice. I don't need to see nipple. I know it's there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you on this one. I think it was inappropriate. She should have been more discreet. They have too many blankets and coverups for her to be whipping them out there like she was at a nude beach.

    By the way, I found your blog from Married 2 the Military.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow...um, yeah. I'm a big supporter of women being able to breast whenever, where ever. But I'm with you--having some one be so casual in terms of exposure-that would be a little much for me as well!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to agree. I have breastfed in many a public place, but I think I've effectively shielded strangers from seeing anything except the back of my daughter's head or a blanket. There's no need to traumatize small children who might be nearby!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How you know you're a tech geek: when I first read the title of this post, I thought it was going to be about RSS Feeds. Haha!

    ANYWAY, I once saw a woman break out her boobs at the park. I was totally caught off guard, and think I stared a second too long just from the shock of it. She probably thought I was a perv. :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perhaps she is European. In many other countries this is completely normal and no one really thinks much of it.

    I am a nursing Mom and do try to be discreet for the comfort of others around me.

    ReplyDelete

Those laughing with me...or at me.